Monday, June 9, 2014

Sutton Day 3

Since we had decided we would only spend 2 nights in the hospital versus 3, the nurses had already begun to prepare for our discharge the evening before. Our night nurse had run all the tests on baby so that once the numbers on her bilirubin came back the pediatrician could make the final call on whether she could go home. In the morning they took my IV out and we waited for all the doctors to make their rounds to give us the ok to leave. We had an amazing night the second night. She actually slept for one 5 hour stretch so we woke up feeling quite refreshed. I could tell my milk was starting to come in and breastfeeding was already beginning to hurt. I was already sore and thinking oh no how long will this last. Papa decided to keep Craw at his house that morning and just come see us once we got home. Aunt Cat came and brought Brad coffee and she cuddles baby Sutton while I showered. The OB came in and hardly even looked at me and said I was ok to go home. I was surprised at how little they checked me out considering I had just had surgery. She literally told me to pull my pants down to where she could see the scar and she looked at that was it. She ordered me some pain meds to go home with and she was on her way. The Pediatrician (Dr. Dukes) a new doctor to us had been checking on Sutton each day and he was so sweet with her. We have really enjoyed him taking care of her in the hospital. He told us everything looked great and that they would like to see us Monday (at 5 days old) to check her out again. Lastly, a new lactation consultant came in. We had fallen in love with our first lactation consultant. She had given me tremendous tips and was so patient and empathetic with me and the process. The new lady had different tips and while I didn't click quite as well I appreciated her advice especially during a time when breastfeeding had begun to hurt. We finished packing up and then had to go over some paperwork before we could leave the hospital.

We had a sign made for Sutton's door that looks similar to one Brittany gave Craw when he was born. We love how it turned out and can't wait to hang it on her door at home.
 
 
We got Sutton all dressed in the Feltman dress Aunt Cat bought her



The nurse had to make sure she fit snug in her carseat before leaving





All ready to leave with our sweet little girl







 
 
 We took turns loving on Sutton once we got home



 
Once we got home we tried to settle in as much as we could. She had been such a doll in the hospital and we were so excited to be back in our own house and in our own bed. Cathleen had cooked up one of our favorite meals: homemade jambalaya. Nana and Papa brought Craw home. The pediatrician told us to set Sutton in her carrier in  another room so that when Craw came home we could just celebrate him being back home with us. He walked in and we hugged him and told him we were so happy to have him back.  A few minutes later her heard some noise coming from the bassinet and he found Sutton. He just looked at her and smiled. He wanted to play trains and wasn't phased by her being there. We told Craw we had a special surprise for him since he had been so good for everyone while we spent time with Sutton while she was being born. We had gotten him a Thomas the Train bike. He was sooo excited. He said "it's just the one I wanted from the toys-r-us. Now he refuses to wear a helmet so it will remain in the box until we can get him on board with the helmet!
 
 
Aunt Cat gives the best baths. She got Sutton all ready for bed. It's the only time throughout the day so far that she actually stays awake for any length of time. She looks around and is so content.

 
Craw even wanted to cuddle with Sutton in our bed before going upstairs with daddy to get ready for bed. We had an amazing first day home. We are amazed by Sutton's calm demeanor. She is soo chill so far. She eats and sleeps and looks so peaceful doing both. We can't get enough of her. I want to hold her all the time and watch her sleep in my arms. I have loved having Brad here to help and my sissy who has helped me so much get acclimated to my sweet little newborn!

No comments:

Post a Comment