Sunday, June 8, 2014

Sutton's Birthday June 4, 2014

It was finally the morning of Sutton's planned C-section. We woke up at 4:00 am and started getting ready for our 8: 00 am C-section. We got to the hospital and unpacked all of our things and were situated in the "labor" room around 5:15. We took a few last pregnant pictures as we anticipated this exciting day ahead of us!




I got dressed in my gown and the nurse started getting things ready. She first inserted an IV in my left wrist (turned out to be probably the most painful part of the whole day) -no really she wasn't able to get it in at first and my vein kept rolling. It was throbbing like a headache and I was thinking this is not a fun way to start the day. By about 7:10 we had signed some paperwork and finished getting me prepped in that room. The OR nurse then arrived. At 7:15 Dr Mettherell my OB doctor said good morning and that we would be getting started soon and wanted to make sure I didn't have any questions. Lastly, the anesthiologist arrived and asked me several questions about my health conditions and said he would also see me shortly in the OR. Brad's parents walked in right before we were to leave for the OR. They brought flowers for baby girl and it was great to have them there and show their excitement for us. Brad was told to scrub up and I put my hat on and then I had to get into a wheel chair. I had been calm all morning but something about getting pushed to the OR got my nerves going and I was shaking nervously. Brad was told to go to a waiting room right inside the OR and they would come get him shortly.


 
Once in there we were joined by a team of people. There were two labor/delivery nurses (one nursing student there for observation), 2 OR nurses, the anesthiologist, the OB doctor, a CRNA, and 2 more students. It was chaos to me. They immediately covered me in warm blankets and told me to relax as they could see my whole body shaking. I was told to sit up, lean forward and clutch a pillow. They said to relax my shoulders and take deep breaths as they got the spinal ready. I could feel them drape something on my back right around where they would inject. I felt what was like a bee sting (way less painful then the IV), and they said I should immediately start feeling the sensation of pens and needles from my upper stomach down to my toes. The CRNA held me close and kept explaining everything going on. He was wonderful at keeping me calm. He said it was all going into my system fast and that I may have some numbness in hands and some nausea. Well of course I immediately started feeling sooo drugged. I felt woozy and nauseous but knew this was temporary. The spinal was put in a few minutes before 8am. Then Dr. Metherell painted what I am assuming was like a betadine all over and told me it would take 3 minutes to dry and then surgery would begin. They went to get Brad at this point.
When Brad got in there they were hanging a curtain in front of my chest. As soon as Brad arrived I knew they had started. Brad was pretty adamant that he watch the whole thing. I kept asking him questions to keep my mind off the wooziness I was feeling. We could both smell burnt skin and I knew they had made the incision. He told me they were clamping my skin back and soon after him telling me that I could tell this was too much for Brad to see. I could tell he wasn't really looking anymore. He subconsciously started feeling light headed. He said he couldn't watch anymore. He sat down in a chair behind me and people were asking him if he was okay and needed juice..He took some juice. I still wanted to know exactly what was going on but each group of professionals were working hard to make sure I was being taken care of. Literally minutes later they are telling Brad to stand because they are about to pull Sutton from from stomach. I hear a nurse announce time of birth 8:08 am..I hear a loud cry and someone say oh she's bald!
The doctor walks around and introduces Sutton to us!


The L/D nurses immediately begin tending to Sutton and Dr. goes back to working on stitching me up. At this point you are allowed to take pictures but since Brad was still down for the count a nurse stepped in and said she would go take pictures of the nurses cleaning Sutton up.




 
She weights 7 lb 10 ounces and is 20.5 inches long



 
I am just dying to see her again and soon a nurse brings her over for some pictures while they still finish stitching me up. I think he finished stitching me up around 8:40. The pushed some Zofran through my IV and tell Brad he can take his mask off. They bring a transporter bed for me and get me situated in order to roll me down the hall to recovery.

 They place Sutton on my chest (which they didn't do with Crawford) and begin to wheel me down the hall. I think she's crying but I can't move to do anything about it and I am just so happy to have her in my arms.

Brad's parents are in the hallway and captures us as we roll down the hallway. They take one picture of us in the room and are asked to leave while we recover.

There are still a lot of people in this room. She is screaming, I keep looking to Brad to do something about it but everyone seems to be getting all the machines ready and no one seems to care that the baby is screaming but us. I am reclined most of the way and they explain that they will slowly elevate me every few minutes in order to acclimate to the changes. I am starting to feel realll nauseous. They have a blood pressure cuff constantly going, SCDs on my legs to keep compression going in my legs. Then the nurses say I can try to nurse her. It was awkward because I am still numb, cant't really feel anything and starting to feel sick.Thank goodness she latched on right away. Another nurse switches out with the team that it's there and at this point it is almost 11:00. I tell Brad to call his parents so they can come see her. Brad is starving at this point so he goes to grab food and his parents come in to check everything out. I am still feeling sick and shortly after begin throwing up. I am pretty foggy at this point. I am still numb, I feel woozy, a little sick and I just want to feel normal so I can enjoy my baby. I feel my incision and it is throbbing much like a headache would.
Just a little while later Aunt Cat arrives and she has Crawford with her.
She wants her hands in her mouth immediately but her nails are soo long and she is scratching her face


First bath.
 
Brad pulled out a beautiful present that had 2 necklaces in it. A hammered gold name plate with each child's name on it.

 
Brad and Papa go meet Craw outside and here he is looking excited to meet his sister.


He has a stuffed octopus in his hand that he has for baby Sutton.
Papa and Craw making their way to the room


He didn't say a whole lot. He threw the stuffed octopus on the bed.
He was cheesing the whole time but didn't really say anything.


Papa picked him up so he could see her.

We gave him a Thomas train to open and he was so excited and preoccupied to notice that he has a sister in the same room! Nana and Papa took Craw to lunch and Aunt Cat stayed behind to help us get Sutton camera ready. We finally got to doll her up in her girly hat and blanket.

It was a long day by 3:00 and I was still not able to get up out of bed and still had monitors connected to me but we were so elated to have our healthy baby in our arms!

 
 Aunt Cat brought Sutton her first birthday cake--my favorite kind-cookie cake
 
 



Craw came back and watched Aunt Cat swaddle Sutton up- I must been real out of it at this point because I don't remember this at all. I am loving watching Craw see his sister for the first time

Apparently daddy decided to take a snooze...rough day for daddy -haha
 
Around 5:00 Ashley, Brandi and Ms. Greta stopped by and brought Sutton and Craw gifts. It was so great to see them and they took turns holding baby Sutton. I'm sad we didn't get any pictures together.
 
Nana, Papa, Craw, Aunt Cat, Bobby, Amy, Hope and Carter all grabbed dinner (while Brad and I ordered room service) and we waited for the crew to come by and say hi!
 

Hope has been talking about Sutton's arrival for months. She was soo excited and it was adorable to watch her get to see and hold Sutton for the first time. She brought her a balloon and couldn't wait to sit down and hold her new baby cousin.
 
Even Carter wanted to take a turn holding her while her own brother refused.

 
Nana and Papa with their iphones snapped pictures all day long.
 
Here was our first family picture with Sutton! It was such an exciting and amazing moment! I just can't believe I have a healthy and beautiful DAUGHTER.


 
Sutton and I hanging out once I was allowed to get up late in the evening to change and go to the restroom


 
Brad trying to get some rest while holding baby
Throughout the whole first day she had been so even tempered and had slept most of the day. She was eating well and everyone said she should continue to be drowsy this first night. Well she continued to feed fine but we were soo exhausted and sweet girl didn't go to sleep until 5 am the next morning. I would feed her, swaddle her, and place her in this bassinet and she would immediately get fussy. I would then hold her in my arms and she would settle but I was so nervous to doze off in the chance that I let go so it was an evening of dozing on and off and begging brad to hold her for 2 45 minutes increments so I could close my eyes. We learned our lesson: we should have tried to rest more that first day but she really had been spoiled all day being held and then we tried to put her down to sleep and she just wasn't having any of it.
 

Once we saw the light come in the windows on that second day we immediately said our prayers. We were soo overly grateful for a healthy baby and seamless delivery. We couldn't wait to start our new lives as a family of 4!!

No comments:

Post a Comment