Monday, June 9, 2014

Sutton's day 5 and 6

This baby's birth has been soo different. The time of year has made such a difference in the way I have felt in general. With the nice weather I have made sure to take a walk each day even if it is up and down our street for 10 minutes.
 
 
I never remember this sort of peace that newborns brings. Maybe I was so sleep deprived, hormones surging, first time mother, or just had a fussy a newborn...this time around even though I am only a few days in  I LOVE IT. I love how tiny she is and how angelic she is. I literally can't leave her side. I am loving every minute of it and trying to cherish each day I have with her.

 
She is hardly ever awake. We have to completely undress her and usually wipe her down with a warm rag just to get her eyes to open.

Sometimes after a feeding she is awake for a short time period but when she is she generally is so calm and quiet. Nursing has been as difficult as I remember it. Lots of soreness and pain but I am hoping that as my milk levels even out things should get better.


At times I am run down from my incision hurting because I have pushed it too hard...other times I am so sore and want to cry from the pain that the nursing has brought on ...but this Sunday the weather was perfect and I knew I couldn't pass up a stroll downtown with the fam.
 
Craw loved it and just ran all over the place

Aunt Cat and I have pretty much taken over caring for Sutton and Brad has done an amazing job of playing with Craw nonstop. I hear them laughing so hard upstairs in his playroom and it warms my heart that this change so far has been easy for him. Cathleen and I were getting dinner ready last night and Brad took over Sutton duty while Craw napped. It's funny to see how nervous Brad is with a newborn. I thought I was the nervous one but maybe the combination of the two of us being nervous last time was a recipe for disaster. Brad looks anxious changing her diaper and if she starts crying he looks for help. I think he does an amazing job with her but it's been interesting to notice.

 
Monday morning June 9th (day 6)
 
I had a big problem with engorgement over the weekend. I think I waited too long to feed Sutton one evening. That coupled with my milk coming in caused me to be in a LOT of pain. I decided that I needed to feed more often in order to remedy the problem. I woke up every 3 hours on the nose and made sure Sutton did as well to ensure that I didn't let this problem resurface again. We woke everyone up around 7:45 and got ready for her first pediatrician appointment. Papa met us there so that Craw wouldn't have to sit through the appointment.
 They have upgraded the newborn service since having Craw. We went in and met with the nurse. She got all Sutton's vital signs and then took us to the scale where there was a blanket warming. We got her weighed and wrapped her up in her warm blanket. Our room was nice and dark and had a nice lounge chair in it. The lactation consultant came in next to watch me nurse and lend us some tips. She said everything looked great and that I should hopefully be on the upswing from here in terms of pain and engorgement. When the doctor came in he did a quick visit with me...he checked all my vitals out and assessed my swelling. They keep a file on mother's now so that if during this newborn phase we experience difficulties or health problems they can take care of us at their practice. Next up was Sutton's exam. She went from 7 lb 10 oz to 7 lb 2 oz (when leaving the hospital) and was back up to 7 lb 5 oz (on day 6). She was still 20.5 inches long and her head circumference was 34 cm. He listened to her chest and said she sounded and looked healthy as could be. I told him she had been spitting up some and it even was coming out of her nose. He said it was probably because her stomach was still so tiny and that he would watch for it to improve over the weeks to come. We left our appointment feeling so blessed!

 
Ashley and Maddox stopped by and we caught up while Sutton slept.


 
I have been trying to squeeze in some quality Crawford time. Even if I can't get on the ground and push trains around with him, I have been trying to make sure he knows mommy still loves her time with C.
 
I thought Craw was supposed to be going to sleep but somehow mommy was the first one out tonight!


No comments:

Post a Comment