Thursday, January 6, 2011

"It won't be like this for long"

We have been so lucky to have soo many sweet friends come by and visit Crawford. The Rivera's stopped by last night and fortunately Crawford at a good time (well for about 15 minutes anyways!) We can't wait till they have a little buddy for Crawford ; ) They were so sweet and brought dinner and a magazine and some wine for the recovering new parents! So sweet...it has amazed me at how creative and sweet people really are. It sure makes you thankful for the wonderful friends in your life!
Brad loves him some nightly entertaining with Crawford!





yaaaay our first walk!









So since it is official..the holidays are over...all of our fun company has gone back home, Brad is back at work...I have come to grips with the fact that I CAN do this...even though some days are sooo extremely exhausting and some days I feel like we are taking 5 steps backwards I still just love holding little Crawford and looking in his adorable eyes...Today we took our first walk in the neighborhood with just him and me! I realized that I can either go crazy sitting in this house all day everyday or I can start building my mommy confidence and venturing out with the nugget. So after he had eaten, had a diaper change, had a clothing change, and taken a nap and he was still fussy I thought well it feels great outside I think we are going on a walk. The first walk we took last week was quite funny. Brad and I were a nervous wreck. One of us was walking in front of the stroller making sure that the infant carrier didn't tumble off of the stroller and the other was pushing ever so gently. It made me think oh my goodness I am never going to feel comfortable doing this alone..But I know that Crawford loves movement..he loves driving in the car (just as long as the car is moving at a fast pace) and since I want him to love going on walks I knew I had to suck it up and get to feeling comfortable with just mommy and Crawford days. So I bundled him up and wrapped him in a blanket and ever so gently went over the few bumps out of the house to get us on the sidewalk and he was out! I mean he slept like a little angel the entire time. I never wanted to come home because I knew he would wake up screaming so we walked for about an hour and that joker never so much as moved his little head! So even with a lack of sleep pretty much every night I am loving him more and more every day. I just can't get enough even when he is screaming he has his little lip in the pouty looking way and screams and I just love him and wanna squeeze him tighter!

I came across these lyrics and it just made me appreciate each and every day that I am going to get to spend with Crawford. No matter how stressed I may have felt the passed couple of weeks I am going to try and relax and enjoy these next 6 weeks because soon enough I will be back at walmart dreading every day!


The song is by Darius Rucker and the song is titled "It Won't be Like this for Long"


He didn't have to wake up, He's been up all night
Lying there and listening to his newborn baby cry
He makes a pot of coffee, splashes water on his face
His wife gives him a kiss and says it's gonna be okay

It won't be like this for long
One day we'll look back laughing at the week we brought him home
This phase is gonna fly by, so baby just hold on
It won't be like this for long....

So as I repeat these lyrics in my head I think that soon enough he will be crawling and walking and not wanting to snuggle with him mommy...so who cares if I don't sleep, shower, eat, or workout on the same schedule as I used to..being Crawford's mommy is so much better than any silly schedule and I am ready to face the next couple of weeks with a much more optimistic outlook. This phase won't last forever and a lack of sleep never hurt me..so I need to love being the one who can feed Crawford and get him to sleep and keep him happy and that really is what is so rewarding about being a mommy afterall!

Well that was my inspiration for this day...it's been such a GREAT day....meaning Crawford has slept for over 3 hours today and has been an angel...what that also means is mommy better prepare for a looooong night!
Brad is leaving me tomorrow to help Cathleen move from Savannah to Atlanta ...what that means is my first night without Brad..someone say a prayer for me! Even though I try to let Brad sleep through the nights it sure is nice to know that he is there next to me juuuust in case I need him (in which case he ALWAYS lends a helping hand) so I am hoping that a-Crawford cooperates and b-that he gets that giant truck all the way to Atl safely. We will happily be awaiting his arrival home on Saturday night!

1 comment:

  1. So proud of you for venturing out and taking the little guy on a walk. And I'm so glad it was a success!!

    PS- don't judge me for tearing up at the song lyrics, ok? I'm a giant softie.

    ReplyDelete