Monday, January 31, 2011

The things I've learned during my 6 weeks as a mom

1. You will be surprised how little sleep you can actually function on. I haven't relied on caffeine to get me through...just amazing how your body gears up and is ready for you to be up after 2 hours of sleep

2. It is amazing how fast you become skilled at using one hand to do just about everything...play on the computer, use your phone, do the laundry...at first I thought I would literally not be able to move as long as I was feeding Crawford..

3. By the end of the day you forget if you've eaten breakast or lunch...or maybe you had breakfast at lunch because that was the first time you were able to step away for a few minutes

4. After the first few weeks I had watched more television than I probably had all year. I now know that Regis and Kelly follow the today show which then leads into Rachael Ray, the news, Andy Griffith show, soaps, the Doctors, Ellen, and then Oprah...yes in that order all on the same channel...at least I don't have to find something to watch...although I try to stay busy during the 12:30-2 since I don't like those shows...but rarely does the television channel or volume change because normally I have placed them on the couch far out of reach from my feeding grounds with Crawford...thank goodness Brad gets home sometime during Oprah

5. You know your son is already trying to outsmart you when you finally change his diaper, put diaper cream on him, place a new diaper on him and he decides to go to the bathroom all over again...or sometimes you may not be so lucky and get that diaper there in time...

6. Personal hygiene is for the birds...I mean brushing my teeth for 2 minutes seems like forever when the baby is SCREAMING because you placed him on the boppy for those 2 minutes...haven't mastered buy 1 shower with just Crawford and I in the house ...in 6 weeks you do the math...not much time to get much done...can count the number of times I have straightened my hair and I'm really in for a treat if I can at least blow dry it.

7. Getting dressed is also a thing of the past...most days I am in mismatched pjs with socks and my shirt is hanging off one shoulder from feeding so frequently.

8. This whole trying to decipher crying...well again it's for the birds...I tell myself oh he must be hungry or he's tired but really this is what mommy "thinks' is wrong and so I proceed and give myself a pat on the back when it works...when all else fails I simply feed little Crawford because he is ALWAYS up for a meal!

Just a few lessons I have learned over the past few weeks...but since I have been interrupted 3 times while trying to post this better tend to little Crawford for now!

1 comment: