Sunday, January 2, 2011

3 weeks!!!

Ahh my little nugget is finally sleeping. It is 3:45 and he is just taking his first nap...I mean I knew I didn't require a lot of sleep but aren't newborns supposed to sleep more than this?! Well a tiring, trying, and eventful 2 weeks it has been. I have never learned so much about being a mother in 2 weeks. I mean being an Aunt I had that mastered and staying busy and multitasking on a day to day basis with long work hours and workouts again a breeze...being a 24 hour mommy is definitely on the top of the list as most difficult tasks I have ever taken on! I am learning something new about Crawford every day and when he cuddles and let's me feed and take care of him it is such a rewarding feeling but I have to admit this is a HUGE CHANGE for me. There are days with NO showers, most days I am in my pajamas all day long, little time for laundry, cleaning and even eating. Well let's take a look back on the little guy's life so far. We spend most of our days in the den with mommy trying to learn all of Crawford's different cries and needs. We have ventured out to Brad's parent's house a couple of times around Christmas and we have ran very quick errands just to keep mommy sane. However, baby Crawford has not made his official public appearance yet. (don't hate me Crawford I am just trying to protect you from the germs and sick people!) We even had to pull over to feed you on an errand that should have only taken about 45 minutes. We love that you let us take you places so I am sure in time you will catch up with mommy's fast pace life and be ready to be on the road!

Well I have to say that from trying different toys and objects to entertain you so far we haven't had too much luck. You don't like your bouncy seat, you hate your bassinet, the pack n play lasted all of about 60 seconds. You are content in the swing that we borrowed for about 5-10 minutes but we are hoping you are warming up to this.

Feeding: What would I do without the boppy pillow!? I think it is connected to me and it goes in every room I go. This is what we use to keep you comfy while mommy feeds you. We usually feed on the couch downstairs on up in mommy's bed at night. Sometimes we will sit in your room in the glider but it is awfully quiet up there.

Naps: While like I said there is no pattern to your naps quite yet. Sometimes you will go down for a long 3-4 hour stretch but most of the time you take 30 minute to 1 hour naps. You usually fall asleep while mommy is feeding you and then I quietly try to burp you so that you don't have a stomach ache and that usually wakes you up. See you are just the lightest sleeper. Therefore, if I think you are out and I go lay you in your crib and you are not in your "deep" sleep you immediately let us know. If we think you are sleeping and we let a guest hold you and you are not ready to be held you let us know. Mommy makes sure to change your diapers before feedings and that is probably a good thing because I am sure you would be wide awake if we waited till after feedings. Every now and then you will sleep one 4 hour stretch at night but it is not very likely quite yet. You have the most killer reflexes (just like your daddy)! If you get even a little startled your hands go crazy and it is just the most adorable thing. You like being held against someone's chest and I have been trying to keep you comfy and relaxed on my chest when I know you should be trying to settle down for a nap. We have been working hard to get you used to your crib because for the first few weeks you only wanted to sleep on mommy's chest on on the bobby pillow in mommy's lap. This makes us nervous plus it doesn't allow mommy to get a wink of sleep. There is nothing sweeter than to see your sweet smiles and frowns while you are dreaming. I can only imagine how much must be going through the little mind of yours. Mommy and daddy just adore you and love watching you sleep peacefully!

Crying: Well we are still trying to get a hang of what your cries mean. I used to immediately think you were hungry and you would eat pretty much ALL the time. I am now trying to determine how to keep you content when I know there is no way little Crawford is hungry. I do think you cry a lot of the time because of gas and possibly a little reflux. I hate watching you and knowing that you are in any pain. We keep some mylicon drops close by but I truthfully haven't noticed that they help your belly at all.

Diapers- I think you like a fresh clean diaper because sometimes when you are getting fussy all it takes is a diaper change and my little Crawford peps right back up. We have had some interesting diaper changes with you including lots of pee and poopy outfits because either a: we didn't get to you in time before you decided to go through your clothes or b: because as we are changing you you decide to keep going to the bathroom. Either way we are definitely becoming faster more efficient diaper changers every day and promise to try out best to keep you as comfortable as possible.

Entertainment: Well mommy tries to pull out all the stops. You normally don't find me or my tricks very entertaining! I usually try the swing around breakfast time you usually will last long enough for me to get a bowl of cereal down but then you demand my attention immediately! I try to do a little tummy time on the activity mat but you are so squirmy that it doesn't go very well. You practice tummy time much better on mommy's chest while I am trying to burp you (which you don't like at all!) you squirm all around making it impossible for me to keep you upright! I tried the baby bjorn today and it was a success for about 30 minutes so we may begin to try this more frequently to allow me to move about the house a litle easier!

Favorite things you do:
: You still won't straighten out those adorable legs so half the time your little sleepers do not have any feet in the feet slots soo cute
: You try so desperately hard to get those hands in your mouth but you just can't quite coordinate the movement yet
: You love to have those eyes just WIDE open and it always looks like you are staring at the t.v. (but we know you can't really see that far yet so maybe you like th contrasting light coming from it)
: You are always quiet when we change your diaper and you squirm those legs but you usually do not put up a fight (thank goodness)
: You hate being swaddles so mommy has to make sure you are dressed nice and warm for bedtime (although I am still trying to get you to like being swaddled because I think you would sleep better)
: You sleep like an little angel in mommy's arms and I really hate to put you in your crib where you squirm and cry
: You love your boppy pillow and taking cat naps being propped up on it
:You looove having your hands up by your face and no one can move those away you just won't have it
: You are an angel in the car (as long as it's moving at a rapid pace!)
: You have been on one walk and you were pretty good until the wind picked up so I am going to blame it on the cold but I sure can't wait for it to get warmer so we can have more bonding walks
: You are content in the bath tub unless you get cold and then there is no calming you down
: Your little tummy seems to hurt you after feedings but not for normally 45 minutes to an hour so mommy is trying to figure out if mylicon drops work or if this gripe water will soothe you but so far I haven't seen any differences when using them. I think this is also why you don't sleep soundly
: Once something startles you or wakes you up mommy has to start the whole process over again (Crawford you do not like being disturbed and are a very light sleeper!)

Mommy and Daddy are learning new things about you every day and the love we have for you is just amazing. I look at you and you melt my heart. The stress I feel is because I only want to be the very best mommy I can be and I hate thinking that you are upset or not feeling well or not being 100% satisfied so that will continue to be something mommy works on. You are an amazing little guy and I can't wait to watch you grow and change every day!

This is on my 27th birthday. This was the one night Brad and I have ventured out. Cathleen was here and assured us that Crawford would be well taken care of. I was okay for about the first 30 minutes on our way to Brixx until they told us that there was a 45 minute wait and then I got so stressed thinking that I would be gone from you that long. Long story short not quite sure mommy's nerves were ready for night out!

Loving our little baby ...almost 2 weeks old here!

Such a sweet little napper (when you decide to grace us with a good nap!)








Daddy just loves coming home from work!




First bath with mommy and daddy both helping!






Aww love when you can hold that paci in your mouth so sweet!

Even Grandpa loves naptime with Crawford!

Nana and Grandpa come to visit often and love you so much!





Well I started this post at 2 weeks and here we are January 5th and you are now 3 WEEKS OLD! Man I just love waking up from my small amount of sleep (but at least waking up to daylight) and seeing your face! You are truly the most amazing blessing and I really thank God every night that you are healthy and growing and providing so much happiness to your mommy and daddy!

1 comment:

  1. oh I love the update! You did a great job and I love hearing the cute little things you want to remember, like the way his feet are almost never in the foot slots- cute!!

    You're doing a great job!! I can't wait until he is sleeping a little bit longer so you can rest and we can chat more! :)

    ReplyDelete